I do get excited when school gets out... less schedule, less rush in the morning and more fun activities and time with the kids! That also means more mess, more arguing and more "mom I'm hungry" even though I just finished cleaning up from breakfast! I am such a slow learner, but after plenty of past summers and mommy-melt-downs we are approaching this summer with a new PLAN.
Our Daily SUMMER Schedule:
- 7am: Eat Breakfast/Read Scriptures/Do Chores (we've added some extras for the summer which I'll blog about later)
- 9am: Activities and play time
- 11am: Lunch and more Chores
- 12-2pm: QUIET TIME!!! This means no one gets to talk to mom :)
- 4pm: Chores and Dinner
- 6pm: Journals/Reading then Bed
In addition to the schedule we laid down some ground rules to help our summer be better.
- No TV (I didn't want Netflix sucking all their brains away all summer long)
- No video games/screen time until 2pm
- Only 1 hour electronics, w 10 min bonus or practicing piano
A week and a half down and so far success! The house is staying clean, the kids are having to be creative and I'm not going crazy (yet). Seriously, that 2 hour block of quiet time is my sanity!
We hope to make it to the beach a few times this summer and can't wait to have friends/family come to visit (hint hint). We are loving swimming and parks and barbecues with friends and if you haven't checked out kidsbowlfree.com then you must! Our whole family can bowl 2 games for $11.... seriously fun and perfect on those stormy days.
I have no clue what to do about friend play dates?!? We don't have many kids on our street, so if we want play dates we have to make special arrangements but what do I do? If one kid gets a friend over all of them want one or they hug each other?! Advice?!?
Thanks for looking and enjoy your summer!